Thursday, November 22, 2007

Mission Inn 10k

Since everyones talking about running I suppose I have to write about my experience too :)

Before the the lopers do the LA Marathon we enter several small races starting in November. I ran my first small 10k race two weeks ago. The MISSION INN run. Art, my running "coach" and I got there in plenty of time to get our numbers and a good spot at the starting line.
As the race started Art told me to slow down. I looked at him dumbly and said, "Are you crazy...this is down hill." He warned me that the first part of the race was downhill and somewhere around mile 4 we gradually hit a steady incline and a few tough hills.

I felt like an idiot running slow on these downhills while David, my lab instructor from undergrad passed me up saying, "See ya at the finish" with a big smile.

The goal was to finish the 6.2 in under one hour which I did :)
When I got tired Art always reminds me of reasons why I run, my grammy, she had post polio and is not able to run, myself, and my goals.
I even passed David at mile 4.6 with a smile on MY face (HA) and I know that's not very nice of me...but heck, I'm human and it felt good!
I finished overall #221 out of 751. Who knew there were 500 ppl behind me!
AND I finished 6th in female runners for my age

I guess training pays off. I'm not fast, but I know I have the endurance to finish.
SO....I encourage all of you that are doing the turkey runs this thanksgiving! Good luck and thank God for your legs :)

YOU CAN DO IT!!! WOOHOOO!

5 comments:

Mai said...

That's awesome, Brit! Every time I run, I think of you because you're such an inspiration! I don't know how you do it, but I'm so proud of you! Keep running!

Sean said...

^Me too! My favorite quote: "I'm not fast but I have the endurance to finish."

You rock, Brit!

Ken & Crystal Pierson said...

6th in your age group! Wow! You're a running machine. Watch out L.A.

Anonymous said...

Nice run, kiddo. Glad you had fun and passed up that loser...okay, I'll be nice...that other fella. ;) Have a great day.

Bev said...

be sure to catch Mission Inn when it is all decked out in lights and christmas decor at night! its amazing! miss ya.