Sunday, August 26, 2007

I'll run til' I die


Last week I joined a marathon training team, The Loma Linda Lopers. It's been a dream of mine to complete an entire marathon. It all started when Dr. Ken, in Saipan, inspired me to do this. He told me that lots of people do it and I could definately do it. Then I started running with Layla. She was my faithful running partner while I lived in Saipan. We'd run almost every night from "The taco place" to the clinic and back. We got really good at it. My only problem was that my shoes were not so good and I'd often get leg cramps. Layla kept me going and I'd keep her going. When I moved here my dad bought me new shoes and I started running again. I started with 2 miles every night and well, now I do close to 5 everyday. I never thought I could do it.


This morning the Lopers told me that I would need something to keep me going...someone or something, because at mile 18 it gets tough. If I have something to keep me motivated I'll finish the race strong. While I'm running I often thing of all sorts of things, my grammy who has polio who's never been able to run, my kindergarten class in Saipan, Jesus and what he did for me, the men and women suffering from cancer, those that inspired me to keep running, etc....

I could run for many reason. If you have a motivating suggestion please let me know. I'd love to get some input...


I also made a cool new friend. His name is Art (he even has a cool name!). He is in the Lopers to train for his 48th marathon. This dude is AMAZING! I started to drag on the last hill this morning and Art slowed down and handed me his water. He said, "drink." So I did...he said, "no, more!" I did, he said, "no more! Drink it up!" He told me I could stop anytime I wanted to (reverse psychology ;)) I knew I didn't need to. I kept going and the last quarter mile we sprinted ahead of everyone. As we sprinted he was yelling, "don't let them see your weakness!!" hahahah

We finished 7 miles strong! :)


Thanks Dr. Ken and Layla for keeping me running :)

9 comments:

Mai said...

Brit, you're awesome! I can't even begin to imagine running for 18 miles. Keep up the good work......oh, and think about all the boonie dogs chasing you - that should keep you motivated!! ;)

Haytham said...

Hi Brit,,
I'm Haytham ,A young doctor from Egypt. I relly like your ideas & motivations... Please think about visiting my country with your family,,,you'll find a good guide with you !!! to contact:
haytham1236@hotmail.com
all my bestsUntill I hear from you.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Keep it up! Pretty soon you'll be running the Iron Man with Ken. TAke care, Sis.

Brit's Blog said...

Mai- That's a really good motivation :) haha

Haytham- How did you find my blog?? Nice to meet you.

Grant- Hahha...I don't know about Iron Man- that's too much :/ Thanks for the encouragment

Ken & Crystal Pierson said...

Way to Go Britni! We know you can do 26.2! Get some music to run with. That may help?! When's the big day?

Bev said...

i think you'll look cute running in the lopers pink t- shirtson Sunday mornings and at the marathon! Cheering for you!

Haytham said...

Dear Brit ,
" A man only learns in 2 ways ,One by reading & the other by association with smarter people "
..sure like youuuu !

Brit's Blog said...

Thanks guys for all the encouragement!

The big day is on March 3rd.

Sean said...

Brit! That is so awesome! I'm so amazed and impressed. Now I have another reason you are one of my inspirations for this year (that entry is still coming, I promise!) Keep us posted on your progress.

And I agree with the Pierson's. . .music is the number one thing that motivates me when I run. . .that and running with someone else. If it's just me and the silence I run into trouble.